Wasserott Tax Services
Protecting your information is very important to us. All of our actions are guided by the Golden Rule, “Do unto to Others, as You would have Them, Do unto You”. The following guidelines set forth our general privacy practices and principles that apply to information Wasserott Tax Services collects through its software tax preparation products and services; our websites and the products and services offered through those websites.
We utilize administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your information. We protect information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. If you have any questions about the security of our services, you can contact me at info@WasserottTaxServices.com. This privacy notice also details choices available to you regarding the use of, your access to, and how to update and correct your personal information.
When you are ever transacting business, in our office, you will find copies of our privacy notices always available.
Special Note: Because of the nature of the services we provide, we do not market our services to children under the age of 18, nor do we knowingly collect information from children under the age of 18, without them being in the presence of their parents or guardians.
As part of providing products and services to you, we may collect information, including personal information, about you, your spouse, your dependents, or your business when you use our services. As part of providing products and services to you, we may collect information, including personal information, about you, your spouse, your dependents, or your business when you use our services. Personal information is data that can be used to identify you, your spouse, or your dependents individually. The information we may collect includes, but is not limited to:
• Contact Information (i.e., name, phone number, address, and email address);
• Social Security Number and other government identification numbers
(i.e., EIN, Driver’s License Number, and ITIN);
• Date of Birth;
• Financial Information
(i.e., income, revenue, assets, credits, deductions, expenses, and bank account & payroll information);
• Payment Data (i.e., checking, debit and credit card account numbers, balances and payment history);
• Health Information
(i.e., health insurance status and financial information related to payment for healthcare services);
• Physical Location Information;
• Website, Mobile Application, and Email Usage Data;
• Device Information
(i.e., internet protocol (IP) address, device type, unique identifier, app version, operating system, network data)
• Login Information;
• Demographic Information.
You provide most of the information we collect. We also receive information through certain digital technologies when you interact with us. Finally, other companies and government entities may share information with us. You provide most of the information we collect. We also receive information through certain digital technologies when you interact with us. Finally, other companies and government entities may share information with us.
We collect information directly from you.
To deliver the products and services you request, customize your experience, and better serve you, we collect information you voluntarily provide as part of using or requesting our products and services. This information includes information you provide as part of preparing your tax return, electronically filing your tax return, setting up an online account, authenticating your identity, applying for or purchasing a product or service, or applying for employment. It also includes information from documents, not only that you personally supply us, but those you choose to send us with your email account to our email account: info@WasserottTaxServices.com.
Our websites may offer publicly accessible blogs or community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information (i.e., name and city) from our blog, you can contact us at info@WasserottTaxServices.com and indicate what you would like me to do. In some cases, I may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case I will let you know if I am unable to do so and why.
We collect information when you use our services.
We collect certain information and usage data whenever you interact with us, whether online, through a mobile application, or through an email. This data may include which websites you visit, what you click on, and when you performed those actions. These activities may be performed by us or a service provider acting on our behalf. We utilize, or authorize the use, of certain web and wireless technologies to collect this information. These technologies may include cookies and web beacons.
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or state taxing authorities may require we The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or state taxing authorities may require we collect certain personal and system information in connection with preparing or electronically filing your tax return. This may include your name, social security number, IP addresses, and unique device identifiers.
We collect information from other companies and government entities.
In accordance with their privacy notices, our software providers, bank partners, service providers, and unrelated third-parties (including the IRS and credit reporting agencies) may share certain information about you with us.
We also collect information when you request services or information from us or companies with whom we have a business relationship, enter contests or sweepstakes, or complete surveys or polls.
To improve the security of our services, to protect your identity, and to protect your information, we may verify your personal information by matching the information you provide against other publicly available information that we obtain from identification verification companies.
We use your information to provide you the products and services you request. We may also use your information, as permitted by law, including: to service and report on your account; offer you relevant information, products, or services; and enhance our products and services. These activities may be performed by us or a service provider acting on our behalf. We use your information to provide you the products and services you request. We may also use your information, as permitted by law, including: to service and report on your account; offer you relevant information, products, or services; and enhance our products and services.
These activities may be performed by us or a service provider acting on our behalf.
• To offer you products and services. We may use your information to contact you about products and services offered by us. This may include the physical or electronic delivery of newsletters or publications.
• Physical Location Uses. We may use your location to assess the level of interest in our services in a particular area, and enhance the services we are providing you and other clients. You may at any time revoke our collection of this information by turning this off at the device level and by not using any address locator we might offer, or by notifying us of your decision.
• Mobile Devices. Subject to your control, we will request permission to call or text you.
• Within our Appointment Manager, we may use your information to set up an online account or authenticate your identity. We may use your email address as your online username. We will email and/or text you about your appointments or cancellations. We may, with your permission, email you newsletters or service promotions.
• Security Enhancements. We may use your information to improve the security of our services, protect your identity, and protect your information.
• Unique Identifiers. We may assign you a unique identifier when you use our services. This unique identifier allows us to match information collected through our other various products and services. Generally, we use this information to help us better understand your use of our products and services and to customize your experience and better serve you.
• Calculators and Tools. Currently, we do not offer any calculators, apps, or special tools. But, if we do, when you use our calculators and other tools, we may collect non-identifiable data, such as the number of people that use a certain tool. We may also set cookies or clear gifs based upon your use so you do not have to re-enter your information in a later visit and to help us customize offers and tools to your particular interests. For calculators and other tools that require registration or ask for your contact information, we may contact you directly with relevant services and offers.
Who do we share your information with?
The privacy and security of your information is important to us. We do not sell or rent your information (including your social security number or birthdate). Never. We may share your information to support the products and services you request or provide you information on products and services that may benefit you. We may also share your information as permitted by law or with your additional consent. We will let you know if we are asking for this additional consent.
• Business Partners. We work closely with one (1) business partner, SANTA BARBARA TAX PRODUCTS GROUP that offers our Refund Transfer product & the WALMART MONEYCARD. We may offer products jointly with our business partners. You will be able to recognize when a business partner is associated with your transaction when its logo appears or is shown with our logo. We may share information that is related to such transactions with that business partner.
• Service Providers. We may disclose your personal information to service providers who perform business functions on our behalf, such as data processing and analysis, contest supervision, and direct mail or email production. We may also share your personal information, and a record of any transactions you conduct on our websites or offline with us with a third-party advertising partner and its service providers to deliver advertising tailored to your interests when you visit certain other websites. Data shared in this way is made pseudonymous. We require all service providers to have written contracts with us that specify appropriate use of your personal information, require them to safeguard your personal information, and prohibit them from making unauthorized or unlawful use of your personal information. We DO NOT have marketing partners with whom we share your personal information. EVER.
• Communications with the IRS and State Taxing Authorities. The IRS and state taxing authorities may require or request we disclose certain personal and system information in order to process or electronically file your tax return. This information may include, but is not limited to, your name, social security number, IP addresses, unique device identifiers, bank account numbers, and tax return preparation user activity metrics (i.e., time to complete the tax return).
• Persons Who MIGHT Eventually Acquire Our Assets or Business. If we sell or transfer any of our business or assets, certain information about our clients may be a part of that sale or transfer. In the event such sale or transfer results in a material change to this Privacy Notice, we will notify you. The notification procedure will be the same as the procedure we use to notify you of a change to this Privacy Notice as described below.
• Responses to Legal Requests. We may disclose your information when we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is required or permitted by law pursuant to a legal request. This may occur in connection with a court order, legal process, or other judicial, administrative or investigative proceeding that produces a legal request for information from Wasserott Tax Services. In certain situations, however unlikely, we may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
• Disclosures. We may disclose your information when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect your rights and safety, the rights and safety of others, or our rights and safety. We may disclose your information to proper federal, state, or local officials in order to, and only to the extent necessary, inform the official of activities that may constitute, or may have constituted, a violation of any criminal law or to assist the official in investigating or prosecuting a violation of criminal law. As permitted by law, we may disclose your information to the IRS and Information Sharing and Analysis Centers (ISACs) for the prevention of stolen identity refund fraud (SIRF) and as related to potential cyber security threats.
• Aggregate Data. We may disclose aggregate information compiled using information that does not identify you individually or personally. This may include, for example, the total number of visitors from a particular community or the average user age.
What types of web and wireless technologies (including cookies) do we use?
We Don’t. But we might, and, Our Service providers, Do.
Websites use commonly-used technologies, such as cookies, to remember you and to personalize your experience with features and advertisements. And if, we, and/or our service providers, use these technologies to help us know your usage patterns, track your preferences, and analyze how you use our services or we may receive reports on an individual or aggregate basis based on these technologies. We WILL let you know about it, in advance, and you can opt-out of most of these technologies, at any time.
You may also adjust your browser settings to accept or deny all cookies, or to request your permission each time a site attempts to set a cookie. Although cookies are not required for our services, some of our services may not work properly if you disable cookies entirely. Clearing cookies from your web browser may revoke a prior opt-out you have selected.
• Local Storage Objects HTML5. Third parties with whom we partner, in order to provide certain features on our website or to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity, may use HTML5 to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5.
• Clear GIFs or Web Beacons. Anyone employing a software technology called clear gifs (also known as pixel tags or web beacons), that helps to better manage content on their websites by allowing them to understand usage patterns, fix issues, and improve the products and services offered to you on their websites. We may use clear gifs in our emails to let us know which emails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. These activities may be performed by us or a service provider acting on our behalf. You can always unsubscribe from any newsletter, survey, or marketing effort.
• Log Files. Like most websites, we do use log files. Information collected in log files may include IP addresses, unique device IDs, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, the files viewed on our site (e.g., HTML pages, graphics, etc.), platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. We utilize this information to analyze trends, administer the site or mobile application, track user’s movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. When you use certain online tax services, IP addresses and unique device IDs may be tied to personal information to enable users to file or transmit tax returns to the IRS.
• Traffic Data. We collect information relating to traffic on our website. We may collect and record information on pages visited, mouse movements and clicks, scrolling activity, keystroke data that you voluntarily enter on our website, HTML data on a page visited, IP address or information your browser provides to our web server, such as, browser type, operating system, language, screen resolution, referring URL, etc. We utilize this data to improve our website and the products and services offered to you.
• Online Behavioral Advertising. Currently we do not participate with this and are unlikely to do so. This is when third-party companies are allowed to serve ads and collect certain pseudonymous information when you visit websites. These companies may use this information (e.g., click stream information, browser information, time and date, device ID, geo-location, IP address, or subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over), during your visits to websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you and to enhance your consumer experience across the different devices that you use. These companies typically use a cookie or third-party web beacon to collect this information. Again, we do not participate in this, and you can see why. You may opt out of this kind of advertising by visiting, and utilizing, the Network Advertising Initiative’s opt-out page at http://www.networkadvertising.org.
• Mobile Device Information. We will NEVER Knowingly record data from your mobile device such as Apple IDFA, general characteristics of your device and other device IDs. If I find that we ever are, the information will be destroyed.
• Mobile Analytics. We do not use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our mobile software on your phone. This software may record information such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, performance data, and where the application was downloaded from. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personal information you submit within the mobile application.
How do we respond to web browser “do not track” signals?
We treat the data of everyone who comes to our websites in accordance with this Privacy Notice, which is, simply, whatever their “do not track” setting indicates.
How do we secure your information?
The security of your personal information is VERY important to us. We utilize administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your information, including encryption. If you have any questions about the security of our services, you can contact me at info@WasserottTaxServices.com.
We protect information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. Nevertheless, as evidenced almost every day from our government or media outlets, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, with deep regret, no one, including me, can guarantee its absolute security. But I do, and will, take every precaution economically available to me and any that are required by law. No client information is stored in a cloud. The only time your tax information is transmitted anywhere is, to the IRS and STATE Tax agencies, as we efile your return(s).
I maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with applicable law and federal standards and that are designed to restrict access to your information. These safeguards include programs and specifications for physical security and records retention and disposal; computer and communication security measures reflected in system design, password protection, and data management practices; and other measures to restrict access to the data we hold in physical and electronic forms.
We collect sensitive information (such as your social security number), and we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
If we share your information with our service providers, we require all service providers to have written contracts that specify appropriate use of your personal information, require them to safeguard your personal information, and prohibit them from making unauthorized or unlawful use of your personal information.
How long do we keep your information?
In accordance with applicable laws, we keep your information only as long as needed to serve you, maintain your account, or needed to operate our business.
We retain your information (including location data) for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We may retain or use your information as necessary to comply with our policies, legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
The IRS requires us to retain filed tax returns for a period of at least three years.
It is my policy that if you start, but do not complete, a tax return in my tax program, I will generally keep the tax return information you provide until the end of that tax season, after which it will be deleted from my system.
Third-party products and services, including social media features.
This Privacy Notice does not apply to products or services offered by third-parties on or through our services (such as our bank partner who offers Refund Transfers). You will be able to recognize when a business partner is associated with your transaction when its logo appears or is shown with our logo. You should carefully read the privacy notices and any terms and conditions applicable to such third-party products or services. When you request products or services from such companies, you give us permission to provide these third-parties with information about you necessary to fulfill or process your request.
Our services do not, but may, in the future, contain links to third-party websites or offers for services from third-parties. This Privacy Notice does not apply to these products or services. You should carefully read the privacy notices of all the third-parties providing such products or services and any terms and conditions applicable to such products or services.
Your use of social media features may use scripting or may require us to share your IP address and which page you are visiting to enable the feature to function properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third-party or hosted directly on our site, and your interactions with these features are governed by the privacy notice of the company providing it.
Examples of these features are the Facebook “Like” button, the “Share This” button, and interactive mini-programs that run on their services.
Updating or deleting your information
You may update your information by emailing me at info@WasserottTaxServices.com. If you have questions, please contact me. I will respond to requests within a reasonable timeframe. After proper identity verification, I will be happy to provide you with information about whether or not we are holding any of your personal information, or not, IF, you are a client. Certainly, expect that we are, subject to the conditions discussed earlier in this policy.
Additionally, if you request, that I permanently delete your account or information, I may still retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, but ONLY those.
You may choose to limit our use or our ability to share your information in certain circumstances. Our ability to offer you certain products and services and your experience may be affected by your choice. To-opt out of all communications email me at info@WasserottTaxServices.com. Please put the words “Opting-Out” in the subject line, and make sure that you are clearly identified as a client and are stating EXACTLY what you would like me to do. If, I have any doubts to your identity, I will contact you.
You may, however, continue to receive e-mail communications related directly to the services and products you purchase, or purchased, such as payment receipts and/or e-file status notifications. But nothing beyond that.
Where permitted by law, we may use your information (subject to your consent, where required) to communicate with you about our products and services. If at any time you wish to limit your receipt of such communications, email me at info@WasserottTaxServices.com. At your request, and subject to the limitations below, we will make reasonable efforts to limit all such marketing communications to you. We will also provide you the ability to stop receiving marketing emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in each marketing communication. We will respond to all requests within a reasonable timeframe.
You may not opt-out of the sharing of information that does not identify you personally.
The above paragraphs only apply to personal information we obtain through your use of our services covered by this Privacy Notice.
To exercise your rights, or if you otherwise have questions about the processing of your personal data, you may contact me by email at info@WasserottTaxServices.com.
Privacy Notice Updates
We may update this Privacy Notice to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make a material change to this Privacy Notice, including a material change in the way we use any personal information collected, we will notify you by using one of the following methods at least sixty (60) days prior to the effective date of such change: (1) we will post a notice on our website describing the change; or (2) we will send you an email notifying you of the change.
This Privacy Notice is effective December 23, 2018.
Charles Wasserott IV, EA
Wasserott Tax Services
5571 Easton Road
Pipersville, PA 18947